Tuesday 17 February 2015

Visit to the Saatchi // February 2015





Since I am now living in London I am fortunate to be surrounded by art galleries. I have spoken before about how much I enjoy art, specifically Tate Modern (see link attached: here). The Tate was one of my first experiences of an art gallery, hence my extreme enthusiasm in the post. However, since I moved to London I have been attempting to experience as many galleries and as much art as possible. I was interested to discover whether it was just The Tate which made me feel that certain kind of way, or the experience of a gallery in general. So, earlier this month, I decided to tick The Saatchi off of my London bucket list. 

I can now confirm that my first experience of The Saatchi Gallery was very similar to that of my first experience of The Tate. Reflective and full of awe. 
Upon visiting The Tate subsequent times I have discovered that every visit to the gallery is different. None have quite matched up to my first experience where I walked around in awe, total appreciation and at peace. In fact, my most recent visit to The Tate was outright unpleasant, full of tour groups and tour guides and people in my way of the art taking selfies. I didn't experience the same kind of peace I once had. But The Saatchi, gave me that same sense of peace. Maybe it's a first visit magic. 

I'm no art critic or expert but I appreciate the way the art is set out in the space at The Saatchi. Before I went I asked my friends who had been before how long it would take me to get round the gallery (I originally planned to visit between lectures and I wanted to ensure I'd have time to fit it in). One of them said: 'It's a big space with little art.' I will say that the art is spread incredibly affectively. With some exhibitions I have visited recently, take The EY Exhibition: Late Turner- Painting Set Free at Tate Britain, the sheer volume of art in one space was overwhelming. Some of the small rooms had around 15 Turner paintings, all lined up on the walls. I didn't feel as if I could take anything because there was simply too much. I think this is where The Saatchi succeeds for me. The curatorship is strong and the presentation is clean, which renders the art easy to view. 

My favourite piece was part of the 'Post Pop: East Meets West' exhibition, 'We Buy and Sell Souls' by Komar and Melamid (poorly photographed by me on the right). The piece is tucked in between three small walls. The two opposing walls are each covered in a advertisement encouraging you to 'sell your soul' to K&M. Whilst the wall in-between is pasted with contract agreements of the selling of the soul. I spent a considerable amount of time in-between the three walls reading and thinking about the concept and the execution as a form of propaganda. I was left pensive and inspired to create something which would leave an audience as gripped as I had been. 

I cannot deny that some of the work is typically bizarre, attempting to be controversial, contemporary art. For example, the sex exhibition, although attempts to be shocking is somewhat bemusing. One is greeted by a giant rabbit costume with a several meter long pink pipe descending from the crotch area and coiled in pile on the floor. Slightly creepy. Although, as a whole my response to the art was positive, and these strange pieces sit amongst many gems. 

Over all, I very much enjoyed my experience of The Saatchi and fully recommend paying a visit. Also, the Sloane Square area is really very nice, so even if The Saatchi doesn't end up being for you, you'll probably have a pleasant day out regardless. I finished the day in Rabbit, eating a delicious pie which encased a whole apple smothered in caramel. Excellent. 

No comments:

Post a Comment