Tuesday 19 May 2015

The Haircut





I have been toying with the idea of cutting my hair for at least a year now. I have had long, yet very damaged and bleached hair for a long time. In reality, my hair hasn't really changed from when I was 16. And three years with the same hair style, although a great hairstyle, is problematic. 

It is no secret that bleach is really very damaging. Highlighting on and off from the age of 12 renders ones hair incredibly dry. Although I haven't put dye anywhere near my hair for 18 months now, I was still feeling the effects of my adolescent desire to be platinum blonde through the lengths of my hair. There are at least ten inches of root regrowth running through the top of my hair, but the length hasn't changed at all in the past three years due to awful breakage. Seriously, every time I run a brush through my hair I am left covered in inches of blonde hair. I never had layers cut in but they had broken themselves in over time. Thus, it was time for healthier hair. 

I had 5 inches cut off the bottom to bring my hair to the length of to my most consistent blonde layer. My hair is now so much thicker and healthier. There are no more whipsy ends that start as a pony tail and end in one single strand of hair. When I plait my hair the end isn't pointy but an even little stump!  It isn't matting up as soon as I do as little as move. 

If any of you are considering chopping a third of your hair off, I fully recommend it. The condition of my hair had been bothering me for so long that I instantly felt better. Long hair is gorgeous. And I want to be Rapunzel. But in reality, Rapunzel didn't get her hair that long and luscious by refusing to cut it for three years and ripping through her matted bleached hair with a tangle teaser. Did she? Also, if you're scared about growth- the average hair growth for European hair is six inches per year. If you cut five off, it'll be longer AND healthier than it was before you started in just 12 months. And what is 12 months really? 

Chop your hair off. It is liberating. 







No comments:

Post a Comment